Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Spring 2014: Rough Draft Poem 5

Assignment: a poem about something I fear.

The One Thing Worse Than Senhor Testiculo, Brazil's Mascot For Testicular Cancer

A three inch long cockroach
Six inches from my face
At 3:37 AM.

I ran out of my room,
Screaming and naked.
No shoes, no wallet, no glasses, no phone.
Couldn't get to a store or pay for Raid
Or see or call for help.
Just me, my laptop, and the contents of a suitcase
I hadn't bothered to unpack after a trip.

I waited until the sunlight reflected
Off of the windows down the street
Into my window before charging into my room armed
With a noisy vacuum cleaner and a frying pan,
Which I used to pummel the mattress
Over and over and over, yelling and laughing
At the thought of what I must look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment